Sunday, June 7, 2009

Activating Inactive Board Members

Neighborhood council elections begin with reviewing and updating our bylaws and election procedures. Often our focus is on correcting the biggest issue boards face: the dead weight of non productive board members. We look forward to replacing the idle ones with productive members. But there is no guarantee that will happen.

I often wonder why stakeholders run for office when they do not want to contribute. But I have never asked one why. It seems rude to look a gift horse in mouth. Yet, are they a gift horse? I have asked a few idle ones to join my committee, and some say yes, but never attend. Some say no, they are "too busy". I am left wondering what they are too busy doing. Avoiding responsibility? Sounds harsh, but is it?

I understand being too busy. I run a business, take care of my grandchildren which includes hours of chauffering, homework, sports and I take care of my home. The volunteer time as an elected neighborhood council member has really replaced all my leisure time. I knew that I was giving up my leisure time when I ran. Of course my husband didn't but that's another story.

So the question is: How do we activiate inactive board members?

They are intersted in the cause, just not committed to it. Their very lack of commitment creates a lack of utilization. And that cycle continues through out their term. Should we require that newly elected board members commit a minimum amount of time to participating in neighborhood council meetings, events, etc? Does any other NC require this? Has that requirement eliminated the problem? Has it reduced candidate participation? Let me hear from you so we can all learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment